Welcome to the Samsheritage.bike site!
Join our 2021 London – York Ride
Here you’ll find details of the September 2021 supported group tour from London to York in aid of the Samaritans. (We were ready to ride in May 2020 – before Coronavirus forced a rather long postponement.)
But the good news is that enrolment for the 2021 ride is now open.
And you can join the whole ride or one of its day-stages. Please check our schedule for details and see what’s right for you.
Make a donation
You would be very welcome to support the ride with a donation. You can donate to the SAMARITANS CENTRAL CHARITY or to any of the branches represented on the ride through the following sites:
Samaritans Central Charity – DONATE HERE
- Cambridge Branch (David Bruce) DONATE HERE – CAMBRIDGE
- Colchester Branch (Keith Middleton) DONATE HERE – COLCHESTER
- Kings Lynn Branch (Richard James) DONATE HERE – KINGS LYNN
- Macclesfield Branch (Wendy Bateman) DONATE HERE – MACCLESFIELD
- Macclesfield Branch (Helen Beech) DONATE HERE – MACCLESFIELD
- Newbury Branch (Steve Fretwell) DONATE HERE – NEWBURY
- North London Branch (Caitlin O’Kelly) DONATE HERE – NORTH LONDON
- Stoke-on-Trent Branch (Brian Rouse) DONATE HERE – STOKE
- Samaritans of the Western Isles (Sally Kane, Alasdair Maclean and AngusMacLeod) DONATE HERE – WESTERN ISLES
- Yeovil and Sherborne Branch (Annie Marshall) DONATE HERE – YEOVIL
- Winchester Branch (Piers Armstrong) DONATE HERE – WINCHESTER
- York Branch (David Moyles and the York team) DONATE HERE – YORK
- Samaritans Central Charity (Steve Johnson) DONATE HERE – SAMARITANS CENTRAL CHARITY
…. and, if you’re a UK taxpayer, the government will add 25% to your donation via Gift Aid. You can choose to donate to any of the branches listed above or to the Samaritans Central Charity. A donation to the Central Charity will benefit the 200+ Samaritans branches in towns and cities across the country.
Why a ‘Heritage’ Ride?
Simply because we’re visiting some of the most impressive Roman and Medieval towns and cities in the country as well as cycling through some of England’s most celebrated countryside.
Can’t quite manage the full tour?
You would be very welcome to join us on one of our six stages:
- Saturday 11th September – London to Colchester
- Sunday 12th September – Colchester to Newmarket / Cambridge
- Monday 13th September – Newmarket / Cambridge to Kings Lynn
- Tuesday 14th September – Kings Lynn to Lincoln
- Wednesday 15th September – Lincoln to Hull
- Thursday 16th September – Hull to York
Check out the ride schedule to find out more about our route from London to York.
For each six-day tour rider to raise at least £800 in sponsorship for the Samaritans Central Charity or their local Samaritans branch
For each one-day stage rider to raise at least £100 in sponsorship for the Samaritans Central Charity or their local Samaritans branch
For us all to join local Samaritans en-route to support branch fundraising
Sign up for the full tour or a single stage
This is a fully-supported ride. Kit will be transported in our support vehicle which will monitor our progress and provide refreshments en-route. Comfortable accommodation will be provided in a variety of settings including the homes of Samaritan volunteers, budget hotels (twin rooms with showers) and at a national conference centre. Riders will eat breakfast and dinner together. We’ll share the cost through our sign-up fee of £365 for six-day tour riders or £25 for one-day stage riders. Any surplus from the sign-up fees will be refunded.
Visit our sign-up page to book your place.
Join the Samaritans
If you’re not able to join the 2021 Heritage Ride, why not join the thousands of Samaritans across the country who support people who are desperate for someone to talk to. It’s vital work with a commitment of just 16 hours a month and you won’t find more supportive colleagues anywhere else.
Steve Johnson, 2021 Ride Co-ordinator